We continue to update the Forbes and Lomax pricelist and the items from their full offer
- especially since they changed/added the new models with the metal rockers, it can be a little complex now. Also, there are some more details from their brochures which we think is quite important for people to know - see the new details about the Forbes & Lomax switches and dimmers
, and now: sockets and fused connections
, the European sockets
, the Forbes and Lomax compliance to the existing British Standards
, and The Fitting of the Forbes & Lomax devices
More about the Forbes & Lomax Sockets and Fused Connections
In the case of the Sockets
and the Fused Connections
, white inserts come as standard. To request black, select the models with the suffix code with (B
) (except on Antique Bronze range where black is standard). Where metal switches are required, suffix code with (PB
) Brass, (S
) Stainless Steel, (N
) Nickel or (AB
) Antique Bronze. ‘Invisible’ sockets are designed to be used on wallpapered walls and although may take a little more time and effort to install can give great results. ‘Invisible’ socket plates have to be made in a slightly thinner acrylic than the switch plates to enable them to securely take a plug, meaning that the corners of the plates can be prone to bow outwards slightly. This becomes more apparent when they are used on painted walls, so in this instance we recommend our ‘Painted’ sockets that are made from aluminium and supplied primed white, ready to take the paint finish of your choice.
More about the Forbes and Lomax Sockets (European Sockets / Miscellaneous)
It is essential to use British wall boxes when installing ‘European Sockets
’. We recommend that you use a single plastic box (code SPB/EU
) or a double plastic box (code DPB/EU
). Italian sockets are only available with white inserts.
Forbes and Lomax - Compliance to the British Standards
Switches conforming to BS EN 60669-1:2000
The ‘Invisible’ light switch
is made with a clear acrylic bevelled 3mm thick plate, fixed to the dolly (toggle) switch with a metal ring. It comes complete with a grid plate, which enables wallpaper etc. to be placed between the actual switch and the plate and a key to tighten the ring.
Sockets conforming to BS 1363 and BS546
The ‘Invisible’ socket
has a 2mm acrylic plate and is designed for use with wallpaper. ‘Invisible’ socket plates have to be made in a slightly thinner acrylic than the switch plates to enable them to securely take a plug, meaning that the corners of the plates can be prone to bow outwards slightly. This becomes more apparent when they are used on painted walls. Therefore in this instance, we recommend our ‘Painted’ sockets that are made from aluminium and supplied primed white, ready to take the paint finish of your choice. These sockets come with a white or black plastic insert and a 1.5mm thick flat metal plate etch-primed in white.
The Fitting of the Forbes & Lomax devices
Our standard sockets and switches fit into British Standard
35mm deep flush wall boxes, with the exception of the fused connections
, the cable outlets
and the shaver sockets
which require a 47mm deep back box. Wall boxes for picture light sockets, shaver sockets and European power sockets should be recessed into the wall by 6mm. Single European sockets, TV, TV/FM, TV/SAT, TV/FM/SAT, TV/QUAD, TV/COM, TV/DBL, SAT, SAT/COM SAT/TEL1, SAT/TEL2 and SAT/DBL sockets need to be fitted into back boxes with fixing lugs at the top and bottom
. To obtain the best results, it is important that walls are as flat as possible and are made good to the edges of the wall box before the interior assembly is fitted. To avoid unnecessary damage, switch and socket plates should be fitted after electrical and decorative work is complete. Extreme care should be taken while handling face plates to avoid scratching. See below the Invisible Switch fitting
and the European Sockets Fitting
Brass plates are unlacquered and will require cleaning for a highly polished look.
Fitting Instructions for the Invisible LightSwitch - the Invisible Plate
- Once the light switch is installed by a professional electrician, a piece of wallpaper can be cut to size using the inner plate as a template. For painted walls the primed inner plate can be painted to match.
- The acrylic plate is then placed on top and secured with the fixing ring using the plastic spanner provided.
- Our standard switches and sockets fit into British Standard 35mm deep flush metal wall boxes.
- For stud walls it is essential to sink the lip 1mm into the plaster around the box.
- The coloured plastic ‘wings’ should be fixed to the underside of the plasterboard with a strong masonry adhesive.
Fitting Instructions for the Forbes & Lomax European Sockets
Order online Forbes and Lomax
- It is essential that British wallboxes are used when installing Forbes & Lomax European sockets.
- All wallboxes must be recessed by 6mm below the surface of the wall.
switches, sockets, fused connection units, dimmers, TV/data outlets, etc. Read more about the Forbes and Lomax different finishes
, like: the invisible plate(with pictures)
, the unlacquered brass range
, the antique brass range
, the nickel silver range
, the painted socket range
, or the stainless steel range