We all have to know this: Carbon Monoxide is a killer. What is Carbon Monoxide and how is it produced / released?
It is a poisonous gas that is colourless, odourless, and tasteless. Exposure to low levels of Carbon Monoxide can lead to headaches and nausea, and high levels can cause death within minutes!
Carbon Monoxide is a bi-product of any fossil fuel burning process so there are a number of possible sources:
- Blocked, cracked, or corroded flue / vent;
- Back drafting through the chimney / flue;
- Appliance without flues(like the gas cooker).
- 23 deaths from Carbon Monoxide poisoning in 2009/2010;
- 176 near misses from Carbon Monoxide poisoning in 2009/2010;
- 72% of Gas Safe (formally CORGI) registered engineers discovered a Carbon Monoxide leak when performing routine services on appliances;
- 40% of recorded Carbon Monoxide incidents were caused by bad installation and repair of appliances.
Stop the silent killer - stop the Carbon Monoxide - with the Carbon Monxide Alarms!