A trimless light fitting is a plastered-in fitting, a light fitting that has “no trim” because it is “buried” in the ceiling or wall, shedding light in a seamless way without any round / square edge around it. Some people prefer to clearly see the light fitting, so a chrome downlight would be great.
Other people would rather not see the bezel of the fitting, so a plastered-in / trimless fitting would be the best solution. If we were to focus on the plastered-in or trimless light fittings, the question is, what kind of trimless light fitting do you need for the wall or the ceiling?
Astro Lighting put out a schematic guide to their trimless fittings, and we will try to explain it or unpack it in laymen terms.
When installing a trimless light fitting before the surface is plastered, and the fitting is fixed into the plasterboard or masonry, there’s a wide range of wall or ceiling trimless fittings. You can use one of Astro’s metal trimless luminaries such as the Trimless downlight, the Borgo trimless, Volos Trimless, Leros Trimless, or Olympus Trimless.
Regarding the Astro Lighting metal Trimless fittings it is important to note that:
- These are designed to be fitted into a plasterboard or brick, and then the surface is skimmed over with plaster, which covers up all the fixing flange.
- The thickness of the mounting surface is not as critical as the flange of the product fixes to the outside surface and this flange is then covered in plaster.
- There’s a metal edge on the metal Trimless fittings, which the plasterers can skim up to and leave a clean edge.
If you are installing into a pre-plastered surface and you’re intending to fix the trimless fitting into the masonry, you will need to bear in mind that you have to re-plaster the wall or ceiling.
If that’s alright with you, you can use one of the Trimless downlights or ceiling lights, such as the Trimless downlight, the Borgo downlight, Leros trimless, or Olympus trimless.
If you are installing the trimless light fitting into a pre-plastered surface and you want to fix it into the plasterboard, then you can simply use one of the plaster trimless luminaries from Astro Lighting.
When installing the Astro Plaster Trimless light fittings such as Blanco downlights, and Leros and Olympus wall lights, it is important to know that,
- The plaster light fittings are designed to be fitted into a surface that is already plastered, and then the gap between the fitting and the surface is filled and made good.
- The trimless plaster light is adjusted to match the thickness of the plasterboard so that the surface of the product is flush with the surface of the plasterboard. This is done simply by bending the perforated metal tabs.
- There’s no edge to which you skim up to; the gap is filled, and then it is rubbed down to a smooth finish before painting.
- Always remember: the trimless plaster light fittings are suitable only for fitting into plasterboards. Do not install these into masonry or brick.
Both the Trimless downlights / wall lights and the plaster trimless light fittings from Astro can be purchased on our website – simply follow the links supplied above.
A simple video showing the installation of the trimless downlights from Astro Lighting: